Enter the poetry playhouse to explore, experiment, play, rest, unearth, and renovate your writing. By drawing on memories, experiences, and dreams of where and how you've lived, you will craft a whole new body of poems in a welcoming and encouraging community. We'll draw on innovative writing prompts (including poems, questions, videos and guidance for creating your own bag of tricks all life long) to access poetic material from the interior rooms and external spaces of your life.
Each week we will:
- Write about a different room in the poetry playhouse, from the family room (writing childhood), through the bedroom (writing about dreams and the dark), to the front porch (writing in community),
- Explore new poetic forms (such as pantoums, or a group renga),
- Learn more about the craft of writing and revising poetry, including powerful imagery, engaging rhythms, effective line breaks and spacing, powerful beginnings and endings, and the romance of revision.
- Read and watch a featured poet to to glean more opportunities for our own poems.
- Contemplate the challenges and miracles of being a workaday writer.
Additionally, we have some wonderful ways to further connect:
- You will also have the opportunity to submit some of your poems to Caryn for a supportive written critique,
- We will share poems in small groups (via a Zoom videoconference meeting) to garner encouraging feedback.
- We'll also have an online community room to share questions, insights, news, and resources.
- We will have a Poetry Playhouse reception on Zoom for a reading and glass of punch (bring your own) together at the conclusion of the class.
Format: This class will be friendly and easy to navigate (hosted on Wet Link) with some Zoom sessions.
Note: If you've taken this with me in another form in the past, you are welcome to come on in again! I will be infusing the class with lots of new prompts and links, plus you can always go home again.