Work with me one-on-one on writing (poetry, fiction, memoir, essays, or non-fiction), creativity at large, or right livelihood (making a living from your gifts and callings). Coaching sessions are individualized for your needs, goals, and timelines. Contact me here to arrange a free 20-minute discovery session.
- What and How to Write: Find processes, techniques, inspiration, and magic that works best for you, whether you’re just getting started, returning to writing, or deepening your practice.
- Jump-Starting Your Imagination: Unlock your creative potential through evocative prompts and practices so that you can bring break-through thinking to your art, work, and life.
- The Writing Craft: Explore the ins and outs of writing poetry, novels, memoir, non-fiction books and articles, and mixed-genre writing.
- The Romance of Revision: Bring your strongest writing to the surface, and ready your work for publication, readings, and presentations;
- Publishing Possibilities: Prepare book proposals for agents and publishers, connect with local sources, and consider other strategies to promote your writing.
- Growing Your Readership: Find your best approach to reach readers, such as readings, blogs, presentations, and workshops.
- Book-Whispering: Listen deeply to what a book wants to be, turn walls and blocks into opportunities, and and embrace the journey of what the book wants to be.
- The Architecture of Your Writing: Unearth the best structure for a poem, story, novel, memoir, or article (Caryn's coaching superpower).
- The Lifelong Art of Facilitating Meetings and Workshops: Learn more about facilitating meetings, workshops, and other sessions, including making and sustaining welcoming atmospheres, working with diverse people, engaging conflict, and designing, facilitating, and assessing effective and vibrant sessions.
- Right Livelihood Through the Arts: Make a living in concert with your callings, community, and experience. Caryn has extensive experience in marketing, website-creation and crafting, planning promotional campaigns, and more.
Sessions: Sessions include meeting for up to 45 minutes, followed up by notes, resources, writing prompts and/or readings shared via Google Docs. Coaching may be done in person, or via phone or video conferencing on weekdays, and as needed, some evenings and weekend times. Note: Until the pandemic is calmed down, all coaching sessions will be done by videoconference or phone.
Fees and Packages available: I offer a free 20-minute discovery session to talk about how coaching can best support you. Once we determine we're a good match, we can arrange payment:
- 3 session package: $80/session for total of $240
- 6 session package: $75/session for total of $450
- 10 session package: $70/session for total of $700
- Write Your Book Companion Coaching: customized plans available to help you start or make progress on a book of fiction, poetry, memoir, or non-fiction. Contact me to inquire about crafting a plan that serves you.
- Finish Your Book Companion Coaching: Click here for more details
- Individual sessions: $85
For more information, please contact me here.
We all have our callings: the work we're meant to do for a more loving, peaceful, and vibrant world. Over 30 years of working with writers, artists, activists, community leaders, educators, and healers through community workshops, college teaching, and individual mentoring led me to coaching.
I help shine a light for you -- whether it's on your writing, creativity, or livelihood --- to help you see the possibilities all around you and especially your own innate imagination and courage.
My approach encompasses:
- Process and Results: We will clarify your goals, set benchmarks, develop specific and do-able tasks, and make adjustments as needed. But we'll also look at your process: what conditions bolster your creativity and focus.
- Learning What Wants To Emerge: You start with an idea, then we put your ear to the page to hear what else emerges. By deepening your capacity to listen to yourself and tthe art or livelihood possible, you can bring more of yourself to the work.
- Body and Soul Wisdom: We'll explore ways for you to glean the wisdom from all of you, listening to what signs and wonders emerge.
- Creativity Resilience: Whether you're writing a novel or planning a community workshop, the more you cultivate your artistic resilience -- the ability to bounce back from falls -- the more you'll awaken your widest and wildest creativity. I can provide you with prompts, ideas, and approaches to recover your bounce.
- Getting Lost and Found: Creativity is often a winding path through surprise tangles of trees and unexpected giant parking lots where you can't find your car. I'll help you find more peace in the process and your way back to your work with new gifts and insights.
- Redefining Blocks Into Opportunities: By redefining what people call "writer's block" into opportunities to replenish your creative spirit, ask new questions, you can find your way to your words. I have lots of tricks and tools to help you.
- Work and Life Balance: One of our biggest challenges is balancing our life's work with our lives. We'll consider how you can sustain spaciousness for your creative process in concert with your day job, family, and community.
"Do not now seek the answers, which cannot be given to you because you would not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answer." -- Rainer Marie-Rilke
"I have loved working with Caryn! She has helped me take my experiences as a child psychiatrist, medical educator and Avatar Master, and find a voice that touches others. She helps me get what is in my heart onto paper. In addition to being a midwife for my messages, she is an expert guide for the craft of wordsmithing." -- George Thompson, MD, psychiatrist, educator, and writer.
"Caryn’s encouragement, even enthusiasm, for helping me revise and complete short stories has been a wonderful collaborative venture. Never the critic, she’s always the consummate partner in the creative process. Her skill, talent, wit, and wisdom have shown me the way to begin writing again, which is a restorative healing process. Caryn has taught me to reach deep within and unabashedly, without apology or shame, to tell my own story.” -- Julie Flora, artist and writer
"Caryn has been a treasured editor for several of my best-selling books, and other writing projects. I can’t imagine the writing life without her." -- Harriet Lerner, bestselling author of The Dance of Anger and Why Won't You Apologize?
"Caryn is unfailingly fully present with her clients and students and colleagues, gently offering wisdom or direction or knowledge or her trademark humor. When you meet Caryn, you realize you've encountered a truly unique human being, someone you'd fully trust learning from or being mentored by. I can't recommend another person in my own line of work more highly than Caryn." -- Joy Roulier Sawyer, poet, educator, writer
"When I first started running writing workshops, Caryn gave me tremendous wisdom and guidance. I don't know how I got so lucky! She was a powerful mentor and teacher at a moment when I was soaking up everything I could possibly learn. I have enormous trust in, and gratitude for, this powerhouse woman." -- Chris Fraser, owner and writing coach at Firefly Writing
"I've witnessed first hand the positive results of her one-on-one coaching and the creative, compassionate way she brings out the best in others. Working with Caryn is one of the joys of my life." -- Kelley Hunt, singer-songwriter and international touring artist
"I brought to Caryn a 30-year project I'd tried to write up many times, not sure whether I had a book, or series of articles, or both, or neither. I had no idea what a facilitative process this could be and both how deep into history and wide into possibilities it could take me. Caryn's ability to listen, to draw from her own experience and expertise, plus her care and encouragement have all been invaluable to me. Her questions and suggestions take root and live within me. Coaching with Caryn is fun, mind-blowing, and compassionate." -- Nomi Redding, retired clinical social worker and active researcher of women's and family health
"To work with Caryn is to open your mind to the creative power within, and to show and better appreciate the creative power of others." -- Tracy Million Simmons, publisher, Meadowlark Press
Be a Patron
You can help create more transformative writing, workshops, and a new podcast series on the power of words. Please consider supporting my Patreon campaign for as little as $3/month. In return, you receive cool perks (books, poems written just for you, and more), early access to my new work, weekly inspirations to spark your creativity, and an in-depth writing guide just for patrons. More here.